CARE Adoption Policies
Most of the birds, dogs and animals (adoptees) that come to us have been in multiple homes. Many of them come to us with physical, nutritional, behavioral and sometimes even mental problems. In these cases, we are looking for experienced owners who are equipped to handle these issues. Our adoption policies are:
- We reserve the right to refuse ANY adoption.
- All adoptions are final – NO REFUNDS. Payment is due in full at time of adoption – NO EXCEPTIONS. We accept cash, American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Discover.
- If the adoptee you apply for is not appropriate for your environment, we may re-direct you to a more suitable choice at our discretion.
Adopting a new family member is a lifetime commitment!
Bird Health Disclaimer
C.A.R.E. has birds surrendered to us from throughout the Midwest. Oftentimes we receive little, if any, information regarding these birds, and that includes medical information. Besides birds being surrendered from private homes, we receive birds from animal control agencies, humane societies, other rescues and similar organizations. Many people who surrender their birds to us have not had their birds seen by an avian veterinarian because “they never looked sick.”
All of the birds have been seen by an avian vet, and any bird over 100 grams has bloodwork done. Their diets, droppings, and social interaction are checked visually every day, to look for any overt signs of illness or stress. If we suspect any problems at all, veterinary care is obtained.
The bird’s vet records will be given to you at the time of adoption. If our bird has bloodwork done and if you have other birds in your home, we require at least one of your birds to have bloodwork also.
Although we do our best to make sure our birds are healthy and happy, we cannot guarantee the health of the bird(s) you adopt.
Procedures for adopting large birds or special needs animals:
- Applicants must have appropriate experience, to be determined at our discretion.
- Adoption application must be completed online.
- You must provide proof of a well-bird visit by a veterinarian within the prior 12 months for all birds already owned.
- An appropriate veterinarian reference is required.
- CARE has the option to do an in-home inspection prior to- or post-adoption to confirm that the environment, cage/crate, food, toys, exercise areas, etc. are appropriate.
- There will likely be a 24-hour waiting period before taking adoptee(s) home.
Procedures for adopting small birds and animals:
- Adoption Application must be completed online.
- We recommend your resident pets be vet checked annually. Potential adopters who have their pets vet checked annually will be given preference.
- For birds you must bring the cage that the adopted bird will be living in with you, so that we may determine if it is the appropriate size and bar spacing and if the perches, toys, etc. are appropriate.
- There may be a 24-hour waiting period before taking adoptee(s) home.
Statement of understanding:
- I am fully aware that I will be adopting a living creature and as such CARE is unable to guarantee the health of the adoptee. If the adoptee becomes ill or gets injured I certify that I am financially and emotionally prepared to treat my new pet at my own expense.